Texas Gas Poisoning Results in 4 Deaths


Authorities in Texas have stated that four children were killed due to what was believed to be a pesticide spray at their home at Amarillo.

According to the Fire Department of Amarillo, the rest of the inhabitants of that house have not yet left the woods.

Reports from the Fire Department claim that one person had allegedly attempted to rinse off pesticide that had been scattered underneath the home, and as a result a chemical reaction was set off, releasing a toxic Phosphine gas.

Captain Larry David stated that medical teams had been notified about this incident early morning around 5 a.m., and one child was pronounced dead at the scene. Three other children were hospitalized but died as well.

No information regarding the identities of the victims have been disclosed to the public at the moment, along with the ages of the youngsters as well, and other injured victims are currently receiving treatment.

Toxic Death

Phosphine gas is a colorless and flammable gas, which in its purest form has no odor. However, technical grade samples do release a rather unappealing odor which may seem similar to that of garlic or decomposing fish.

Unexpected Chemical Reaction

Phosphine gas comes from aluminum phosphide and does get released after certain exposure to water vapor, as was revealed by one person from the Amarillo home who attempted to wash off the pesticide that was sprayed.

Phosphine reacts in a hazardous way once exposed with the air, acids, copper, and moisture, and creates a rather deadly and immediate explosion if heated or exposed to mixtures in the air.

It is usually delivered as a compressed gas in cylinders, and a rupture within the cylinders may cause it to fly in a waywardly manner and explode. Fatal concentrations of the gas are more susceptible in areas that have poor ventilation or low-lying areas.

Related News

Trending News from the Web